Friday 23 November 2007

Always Be Prototyping

At some point in my code development I was nearing I working (bad) UI engine. A system of floating 2D text and menus that could be coded quickly and (relatively) simply. That all sat on top of a 3D OpenGL, and had some nice interface*. It wasn't perfect but I liked.

I was merrily blasting away, preparing to start game engine development when I ran across a lecture by Jonathan Blow (specifically this one). A turning point in my approach.

With reinforced views I became far more optimistic about my future as a games developer**. Prototyping was the way forwards.

So things changed, I started hacking out big chunks of code out. I dumped the third dimension, and game elements started to appear. I mentioned previously I was struggling to explain my weird vision of global warfare in neon, that changed. My friends understood, my supervisor understood, and most importantly I understood what I was making.


Shot of proto-Node - Some buildings, some attackers, some fun


A drawing board for new ideas. I felt no restriction about clean flexible code (within reason) and started building whole unit interaction. Ideas would come to me, and I could jerry rig them in to see how they work visually and interactively.

Finally things were going at a pace I could really have some fun with!

On a final note though, over the last week*** I have started to suspect my higher design goals have suffered to the pull of gimmicks. Identifying the problem doesn't solve it. There is still a long way to go.

I'm building towards a presentation of my game in a weeks time, so I plan to make a video of the prototype soon. Also, for those who know me, I'm going to attempt some early play testing just to see reactions and opinions of the game.

* I know that this stuff can be done so easily using a games engines. I am almost certainly a fool for not using one. I have my reasons.
** Hell, I just have to finish something good! How hard can that be?
*** I'm still in prototype stage. The prototyping time has been prolonged further than I would have liked due to external factors.

No comments: